£12,294 pledged of £14,000 goal ... 27 hours to go
We're entering the 11th hour; judgement day; the end times; ... the next 24 hours will be crucial in deciding whether The Hen Commandments gets made or not.
Normally we'd say something philosophical about it being out of our hands; that the Great Egg knows best and whatever It wills, shall be, in-shell-ah. And the Holy Chicken will surely bless it. A-hen*.
BUT at the risk of being sacriligious, might we suggest that we can all give providence a helping hand by getting out there and spreading the Good Word. There are just 333 backers right now; obviously we can't save everyone, but I think we can attract a few more good eggs for the Holy Chicken.
Before we go, we'll leave you with this marvellous piece of hate-literature that landed on our doorstep just last week from a very enlightened individual who has been busy bravely forcing his anonymous opinion on the citizens of Cambridge:
If we're looking to highlight anything with this game, it's shit like this: The author of the above piece is (we have to assume) well-intentioned. He's not doing it to horrify and offend people; he's doing it because a mixture of arrogance, power-lust and poor interpretation has lead him to believe this is not just the right course of action, but the only one, because he (and let's face it; it's going to be a he) is convinced he has God on his side.
We'd like to think that had the author of this pamphlet played The Hen Commandments and played with the fragility of the written word, laughing at how easy it was to tweak meaning, to bend anything to your own advantage... then maybe, just maybe he might have a little less God-given certainty backing him up next time he wanted to take his own frustrations out on the population at large.
Please help us get The Hen Commandments made: http://kck.st/1Gk3vGO
* Special thanks to Lauren for graciously and generously licencing use of "A-hen" to us.
Posted by TerrorBull Games on 27 November 2014 - 3 comments
Comments so far:
- Found out about kickstarter yesterday, browsing the games sections today. One game appealed to my love of humorous and socially risqué board games - The Hen Commandments. I knew I was into a winner when I realised Terrorbull were involved. By the time I found out about this you were fully funded and according to the proposal on kickstarter you may not be marketing the game widely! I want to throw my money at you (and hopefully receive this game in return) - please tell me there's a way that I can do that! Nicola Nicolabroon@googlemail.comNicola from UK - 30 November 2014
- We want your game. Thirty quid is a bit steep for people in PL but we're getting bored here in the mountains with the Hare and the Tortoise.Tricky Dickie from Poland - 4 April 2015
- Well Tricky Dickie, you're in luck because it's not £30, it's just £21.95 ... but then you're also out of luck because right now you can only get it in the UK. Sorry about that - we hope it'll be successful enough that we can spread the Good Word of Heninism far and wide, but right now we don't know when (or if) that might happen.TerrorBull Games - 30 April 2015
As was fortold in the Prophecy, our new, chicken-based, religion-building game - The Hen Commandments - is now live on Kickstarter.
You may feel that a new religion is the last thing you need in your life, but Heninism is different - it's matriarchal, pacifist, animal-loving... and it's perfect if you have 3-8 friends, (holy) wine and 45 minutes to spare.
If you want to be rewarded by the Holy Chicken in the afterlife* then please check out our Kickstarter campaign - you can get involved from as little as £1, with the get-the-game pledge at £20. However, there are many other tasty and tempting pledge levels with goodies ranging from getting yourself illustrated into the game to nabbing one of the very last 100 copies of edition 1 War on Terror, which is now completely sold out and out of print (and popping up on Ebay for over £100).
We can't do it without you, please help us spread the Good Word. Thank you very much!
* disclaimer: there may be no afterlife.
Posted by TerrorBull Games on 4 November 2014 - 2 comments
Comments so far:
- Kickstarter...credit card only :/André from Germany - 11 November 2014
- Andre, sorry about that. Kickstarter don't allow paypal which is annoying. They do allow debit cards though... or you could just wait until it's on general release (hopefully soon).TerrorBull Games - 28 November 2014
We've been as negligent as a Rotherham councilor of late - no blog or newsletter for nigh on 6 months, not a peep on Twitter and only the faintest, non-committal murmur on Facebook. What's been going on?
Well we've actually been busy game designing of all things. There's lots to catch up on, but we've just completed some educational game commissions for CAFOD and SOAS (more on that later) and are in the process of working on a rather exciting experiment at the BFI next year.
BUT, even more amazing than all that, we've also been finalising the testing and development of our new game, The Hen Commandments. Five years on from the release of our last, physical game, Crunch, we thought it was high time we brought out a follow-up.
The thing is, despite some entertaining successes with War on Terror and Crunch, we were still languishing in relative obscurity. What could bring us the popularity and riches that we crave? We asked ourselves. For some reason, games about the hypocrisy of imperialism and the failure of capitalism hadn't brought us friends and fame...
So we turned to religion.
And that religion is Heninism. A lesser-known, matriarchal religion which is best known for having a bizarre and disputed trinity consisting of the Holy Chicken, The Great Egg Above and (according to some Heninists), A Greater Chicken Above That.
In The Hen Commandments players are disciples charged with interpreting the often obscure messages emanating forth from The Holy Chicken via the medium of encoded eggs. It's played over 10 rounds and the winner gets to keep the resulting 10 commandments and proceed into the world to start his or her own distinct sect of Heninism.
Quite unusually for us, it can be explained and learned in about a minute. We didn't set out with this goal, but The Hen Commandments might be the ideal drinking game. It was tested with varying groups largely in a pub setting - and, if I'm honest, mostly conceived and developed there too. It brings people together, encourages absurdity, silliness and just the right amount of awkward uncomfortableness. And quite unusually for us, it can be explained and learned in about a minute.
When, What, How?
It's all done! We're just finalising the artwork and need to get it made. However, because we drank most of our remaining funds during testing of the game, we're going to need to crowd-source the production of The Hen Commandments and to that end we're putting together the last bits we need for a Kickstarter campaign, which will commence in the next couple of weeks.
While we're just pulling the last bits together, we'll leave you with a few early peaks at the artwork as it stands ...
Posted by TerrorBull Games on 13 October 2014 - 2 comments
Comments so far:
- I'd like to point out your bot checker might be confusing for animal/alien/insect rights activists who know more about Verhoeven than global politics. Also yay, new game!Pete from London - 13 October 2014
- So happy to see you guys back on it - YES!!!Jasper from Cornwall - 1 November 2014
Today is the last day of the Norwich Game Festival. It's completely free and you don't need tickets, just drop in.
And just when you think you've had your fill of good news today, I'll be speaking at said Festival at 2pm at the main atrium of The Forum. I'm giving a talk supposedly on the making of War on Terror, the boardgame, but I can't guarantee to be that coherent.
Also we may have some games to sell and since they're getting a bit thin on the ground, it might be your last chance to nab one.
Go on, bunk off work/ school. You never do anything productive/learn anything anyway.
Posted by Andy S on 15 April 2014 - 1 comment
Comments so far:
- Sound great :)niks from London - 21 May 2014
Hello! Yes we're back - not that you noticed. Did we receive a single email of concern at our absence? Just one enquiry after our well-being? Had we slipped and fallen awkwardly? Had some wild animal escaped and prevented us from getting to our keyboards? Who knows, because no one asked. You unfeeling wretches.
Don't feel bad though, you can make it up to us by downloading the War on Terror app. It's actually been 2 years since this came out and that means that the licence for Jarvis Cocker's magnificent 'Cunts Are Still Running The World' is going to expire in under a month. So if you want the original version with Cocker's best-penned song to play you out, you better grab it now before it disappears.
If you've already got the app, first of all thanks and second, we know what you're going to ask - what's with multiplayer? Well it's not dead, that's the good news. But it's also hard to say when (or if) it will ever transpire now that our developer is in another country. But it's something that everyone involved in the project wants to see, so you never know.
Anyway there's lots to catch up on. What have you been doing? Summer was good, wasn't it? Edward Snowden leaked a massive surveillance programme by the CIA. We almost went to war with Syria! Malala Yousafzai spoke at the UN. Miley Cyrus licked a hammer. It was all happening.
Meanwhile down in the TBG bunker we've had some big decisions to make. We'll write it up fully in another post as it may be useful to others at a similar juncture but essentially we worked out we'd be better off selling fewer games. So there'll be no more large print runs and no more large-scale games with balaclavas (sorry). What we're working on next is a small-scale card-based game that we'll be putting out as a limited run hopefully early next year.
More on that to come and other news too, but for now, go get the game. Go! Even if you don't have an i-thing, just randomly click buttons until you've managed to give us 69p. Thank you.
Posted by TerrorBull Games on 5 December 2013 - 6 comments
Comments so far:
- Android...android? ;-)Andy from Germany - 5 December 2013
- Android, PLEASE!!!MDC from Ohio - 31 December 2013
- I have the board game and the app for IOS. I think you should create one for android and Windows 8 RT, Pretty please? or you will DIE infidels!Oliver from Chicago - 14 February 2014
- It appears that our lives are in danger unless we do an Android version of the WoT app. So while I've personally been motivated to work on this project for far less, I have to say we're rather dependent upon our lovely (but incredibly in demand) developer. But I have to be honest and say we're not pushing him either, it's one of those hard things to assign time to - we want to do it, but not nearly as much as we want to do new things. Such are the annoying pressures of time and money ...TerrorBull Games - 17 February 2014
- I have both your games, but I'm wondering, what are you up to now?Adil from NJ/CA - 27 March 2014
- I want to get the App for the War on Terror Boardgame. Is it still available. Can someone please email me on email@example.com. Thanks PS. It's obvious the Baby Sloth would come in very closely behind Tony Blair. Just look at the face on it. ;-)Robert Skillin from Australia - 11 April 2014